Monday, December 5, 2011

Did You Really Say That?

My principal is a nice man. He has a gentle voice and a respectful manner. I really like him. He has offered me yet another place to see kids---the foyer of the auditorium! I now have six keys jingling around my belt loop because I have so many options of places to have therapy. None of them consistent. Of course, all of these places are only good til January 26th, when the first semester ends. Then all bets are off and we begin again.

The principal asked me and one of the APs to meet with him this afternoon. In this meeting, he says to me, "With all of the services we offer in this school---social work, chemical health---I just don't see a day in [our school] where the speech pathologist will ever have their own space."

Yep. He said it. Just like that. Remember my "Line in the Sand?!"

And then, after school at my Child Study Team meeting we were lamenting a bit on the space issue. My LD colleagues all have rooms, but none of them is actually a legal classroom. I commented to my team, speaking about myself, "I just don't know why an SLP would work in a school that doesn't have a space for them when every other school does." One snappy co-worker snarkily says, "Maybe to have a JOB!"

Well, luckily for me, I have options. And a job.






2 comments:

  1. What an unbelievably lousy comment to make to a co-worker! What you are going through sounds so much like being itinerant. No space and not much respect for what you do. That's a real shame because you are great at what you do. I had a separate key ring to hold all the keys for all my different schools and just when I sort of had it worked out someone else needed the space or the kid's schedule changed and I needed to find another time (and space) to see them. In fact, I had to buy little colored key covers so I could remember which key was for which school. I hope things get better. Keep checking in with your support system; it really helps when you feel like you are losing your mind to find out that you are fine, it's the rest of the people that are nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb! You are so right! They are used to being nuts! I'm not used to it! hahaha! I have so much more respect for OTs, PTs, psychs and DHH that are itinerant and under-appreciated! I mean, I knew you were before, but I REALLY feel it now.

    ReplyDelete