Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Line In The Sand

I had a meeting with my dear supervisor today. I told her that if I don't get a therapy/office room, I will not stay at my current school. My profession, my students and I DESERVE a space in which to work. It is a deal-breaker for me. Therapy will NOT happen in the cafeteria, hallway, entrance to the auditorium. I refuse. This is my line in the sand, I tell her. (Aren't I tough?)

By the end of the meeting, she had fed my soul and ego. I'm laughing. I hug her. I'm putty in her hands. I'm staying at my current school. I'm going to make it work. They NEED me. Dang that supervisor!! She KNOWS I'm a total SUCKER for being needed. I love her and although I suspect she is using me to fill a very difficult position, I can't help but be seduced by being needed and by her masterful way of managing me.

I guess that's why she's the manager and I'm the hothead therapist.

BTW, today was a good day. I love my students.

2 comments:

  1. Did she solve your space issue, though? I'm so glad you had a good day and a good meeting with your manager, but really hope they find a space for you! Glad you had a good day, hope you start having more good than bad days soon. Hope also that looking back, from this time next year that you might view this as the turning point. Good luck! Big change, super hard! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to hear about your line in the sand. I always expected to not have a room which is why I would work with kids in the atrium or under the stairs to the second floor at your old school. Even when there was an OT room, it was way too small to do the things I needed to do. It's all in your perspective, I guess. I can see how for speech, though, it would frustrate you out of your mind. Keep on keeping on. Secondary kids are so great. And you are even better.

    ReplyDelete